Sunday, December 6, 2015

Magical Potion Test

http://rowdykids.blogspot.com/

The week before Halloween, I downloaded a wonderful freebie on TPT. It was from Rebecca Bettis, and it details an experiment to test if students have magical powers or not. Students choose a pigmenting agent, chemical, and magic word for their potion. As the magical powder is mixed in, the students eagerly watch to see if they were able to create a potion. Some are successful and some are not.

My amazing co-teacher loved the idea, but insisted I make sure it wasn't just fun and games. I need her to keep me in line, or I might just spend an entire day playing four corners with my kids. With her encouragement, I created a lab report and slideshow to help guide the students through the scientific process as they tested their magical powers. The experiment was a huge success. The kids loved it and didn't even mind filling out the lab report.

A few weeks ago, I offered to send Rebecca my slides and lab report to add to her freebie. She suggested I post it on TPT and we cross promote on both our sites. What a great idea! So, if you are looking for a fun experiment to launch a Harry Potter novel study or just want to add a little magic to your study of the scientific process, head on over to TPT and download my freebie and Rebecca's. To check out more of Rebecca's products visit her TPT store.

No comments :

Post a Comment